Acceleration in our pockets

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at openmoko.org
Fri Jun 13 11:04:13 CEST 2008

On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 07:37:39 +0000 (GMT) David Samblas Martinez
<dsamblas at yahoo.es> babbled:

> Hi Raster,
>
> Your are not wrong at all about resolutions maths and bus bottlenecks, I have
> learned a lot from your posts , and I'm very thankful for you effort to
> communicate this to us.
>
> Nevertheless I think you were wrong about the pessimistic approach, "no
> decent video from sd" . You have never said this explicit but some post
> destilate such idea(at the end of this message I have extract some of them)
> balrog have said it has pass over the 21 fps in 320x240 barrier  (not clear
> if he had tried from sd yet) so maybe wrong is a strong word (I don't thing
> so, but you may find it offensive) but don't confuse it with lie that is
> really a strong word and I have never pretend to insinuate this.
>
> And again I was thinking loud, and I was think I have erase this sentence
> that have irritating you, again and again and again please accept my
> apologizes

no problems. what i don't want is people to get their hopes up. this was in the
context of people asking if they can play vga video and me going "good luck!".
there is reality - and you can sit and hack away spend lots of time and get 1
case to work, and work well. as i said - it will depend on codec, bitrate,
quality etc. mpeg4 decode in hw is great - but remember it is also limiting to
just mp4 - all your mpeg1, ogg, etc. videos will not work. also as long as
mplayer is accessing glamo hardware it must run as root. admittedly we run
everything as root - but come the day when we don't... this is trouble.

as i said - it is possible within limits. the limits of using a software codec
in mplayer (for example) in the example mp4 video i used @ 320x240 was 21fps
from flash, 19fps from sd card. :) in reality most phones don't really play any
or much video beyond qvga anyway - so it's within ballpark. some do do better,
but most don't.

i just don't want people to be more optimisitc than they should be - i want you
to be pleasantly surprised rather than bitterly disappointed. which do you
prefer - use to tell you all sorts of things and then find they aren't
possible, or us tell you it's unlikely/not so great, you buy anyway, and find
it's better than we said? i suspect the 2nd case is one where you will keep
coming back and be a loyal customer as we are (brutally) honest with you. i
would have serious moral issues in telling you anything i didn't sincerely
believe is the truth :)