OT: Nokia expects open source developers to accept things like DRM, commercial IP rights, and SIM locks.

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Fri Jun 13 20:47:51 CEST 2008

   Open-source developers targeting the mobile space need to learn
   business rules including digital rights management, Nokia's software
   chief has claimed.

   Speaking at the Handsets World conference in Berlin on Tuesday, Dr
   Ari Jaaksi told delegates that the open-source community needed to
   be 'educated' in the way the mobile industry currently works, because
   the industry has not yet moved beyond old business models.

   Jaaksi, Nokia's vice president of software and head of the Finnish
   handset manufacturer's open-source operations, said: "We want to
   educate open-source developers. There are certain business rules
   [developers] need to obey, such as DRM, IPR [intellectual property
   rights], SIM locks and subsidised business models."

   Jaaksi admitted that concepts like these "go against the open-source
   philosophy", but said they were necessary components of the current
   mobile industry. "Why do we need closed vehicles? We do," he said.
   "Some of these things harm the industry but they're here [as things
   stand]."

Full article:
http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/content/jun2008/
gb20080612_288518.htm