OT: Nokia expects open source developers to accept things like DRM, commercial IP rights, and SIM locks.

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Jun 14 00:27:52 CEST 2008

On 06/13/2008 02:47 PM, Stroller wrote:
>    Open-source developers targeting the mobile space need to learn
>    business rules including digital rights management, Nokia's software
>    chief has claimed.
> Full article:
> http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/content/jun2008/gb20080612_288518.htm

My favorite line, "As an industry, we plan to use open-source
technologies but we are not yet ready to play by the rules; but this
needs to work the other way round too."

What exactly does he mean by that?  It sounds like he's saying that the
industry is going to ignore the rules of open source and wants open
source developers to ignore the rules of "the industry"?  Though I'll
admit that interpretation is a complete contradiction of everything else
in the article, I can't come up with another interpretation.  I'm
guessing it's a bad quotation in the article or he just happened to
choose the wrong words to convey his message.

Mike