OT: Nokia expects open source developers to accept things like DRM, commercial IP rights, and SIM locks.

Kevin Dean kevin at foreverdean.info
Sat Jun 14 03:52:49 CEST 2008

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 7:50 PM, Lorn Potter <lpotter at trolltech.com> wrote:

> Considering English is not his native language... I am sure something
> did not come through as he intended.
>
> I think what he means is this:
> Businesses are not yet ready to fully embrace open source as the
> community see's it. He also means that the open source community should
> learn WHY things are the way they are. You don't have to agree with
> those ideas, but knowledge about it doesn't hurt anybody and could
> benefit by enabling us to help change things.
>
> Remember, Nokia might be one company, but it is made by individuals. A
> lot of them. Who have differing ideas about things.

Thanks for the sanity reminder, Lorn. While I can see why this would
be alarming, even if a certain company isn't ready to embrace a
philosophy, they ARE writing and releasing software that is free
software (open source, if that's your moniker) for the time being and
usually "Actions speak louder than words."

There are companies much worse - still totally unwilling to embrace
different paradigms. Nokia might be dropping setting up minefields,
but at least they're saying "There are minefields!'. Free Software
works better in developement and ethics and some naysayers haven't
stopped free software before so don't lend too much weight to this. ;)