moko running everything as root

Joerg Reisenweber joerg at openmoko.org
Sat Jun 14 04:10:06 CEST 2008

Am Sa  14. Juni 2008 schrieb Flemming Richter Mikkelsen:
> [...]
also

> > Hi.
> >
> > Can someone clear up for me why everything runs as root?  When I heard
> > the iPhone ran everything as root I kinda sneered at it but now I can't
> > be so smug.
> >
> > What are the engineering reasons for this?
> The reason is that the user normally wants to run a lot of root applications
> such as rdate, power off, opkg, etc. Of course this should be solved, but it
> should not be a top priority.

My opinion is averse. There's no valid reason to abandon the very simple
concept of users, groups, and permissions, just to have an "easy start" on
development (fixing apps later on is a PITA). If you don't care from
beginning, you'll end up where Vista is right now.
Where is the problem to chmod any file in /dev, /sys, etc. to do rdate, power
off, opkg etc (ok, for opkg I myself would prefer to be asked for root pw).
Or make apps SUID! Do we really have to repeat this annoyance yet *another*
time?
If the user *really* wants to run these apps in the way you assumed (being
pissed off to relogin as root), why not use ageold mechanisms like sudoers,
wheel etc?

To me it seems this is an *extreme* inattentiveness of developers, even worse
a ridiculous one.

/jOERG