OT: Nokia expects open source developers to accept things like DRM, commercial IP rights, and SIM locks.

Federico Lorenzi florenzi at gmail.com
Sat Jun 14 10:50:12 CEST 2008

On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 10:03 AM, Gabriel Ambuehl
<gabriel_ambuehl at buz.ch> wrote:
> As for SIM locks and subsidised business models, it seems like a valid trade
> off to me. Get a phone much cheaper than it would cost on its own but only
> use it on our network. As long as there are unlocked version of the same
> phones available, I guess I just don't see the issue. Denying the possibility
> of such arrangements actually impairs the freedom of the end-user as well.
> Namely the freedom to buy a somewhat restricted product at a much lower
> price.

This has been beaten to death in previous threats. You are not getting
the phone for free, you are merely paying for it in your contract.
South Africa has a nice system here. Sure you can get a phone on
contract, for free, but that phone is not restricted in anyway. If you
want to use it on a competitors network, fine, as long as you keep
paying your contract or pay cancellation fees, they don't care.

Cheers,
Federico