OEM market,any thoughts about that??

steve steve at openmoko.com
Sun Jun 15 00:11:25 CEST 2008

Send me a proposal. This is what I do

-----Original Message-----
From: community-bounces at lists.openmoko.org
[mailto:community-bounces at lists.openmoko.org] On Behalf Of David Samblas
Martinez
Sent: Friday, June 13, 2008 4:40 PM
To: community at lists.openmoko.org
Subject: OEM market,any thoughts about that??

Only babbling wating to the Neo to come out ;)

   I work on a PLC manufacturer (well the corp. do a lot of other products
but PLC are my little puppet) so I was thinking about the openness of this
architecture, the need for processing power and flexibility of engineers
making  production machines an the need they have of communication , and I
for my thoughts I have to confirm it with engineers of that the department
about specs. but some PLC we propose the hardware is less powerful and less
powerful I was thinking about adding an I/O interfaces (digital or
analogical) I have seen it at my work distributed I/O interfaces with
ethernet output and with rs232 serial output, both with and open standard
protocol of PLC communication modbus, I thing there is some implementation
on Linux in lgpl "http://copyleft.free.fr/wordpress/index.php/libmodbus/"

Think's I don't know, Neo is able to have an rj45 ethernet connection as see
it as an standard ethernet network interface in kernel?.
I have eared about an usb to rj45 adaptor, has been tested by any one?,
serial connection is included in the debug board.and surelly the usb port
included in the phone will do the trick with an rs232 usb convertor. but any
one has treat it as a serial port?, can be both with a usb hub?

neo has a lot of cool thing inside with a not bad price, I imagine than make
a deal to openmoko inc to buy some mount naked neos , example buying in 100
packs or so to mount directly in a box after the rom is flashed with the
desired configuration (an OM with graphics rippoff and the application
compiled ) I have to madurate the part of the Who and how will program this
solution:
-the oem  or
- as full solution application included

If first approach is taken, then to even think to enter in that market we
must emulate in the neo some kind of PLC programing interface as they are
used to work with, but even letting the door open to access it directly and
they do on C directly but not OEM has this kind of knowledge

well a has to been asked and redefined in my mind schema of things but all
of this things will be unuseful if the nacked neo hardware part was unable
to be posible or more expensive than buy a mounted neo. or any other
technical constraint that this marketing guy has ignored.