GTA03: New case? Bigger screen!

Nigel Cunningham nigel at suspend2.net
Sun Jun 15 14:16:44 CEST 2008

Hi.

On Sun, 2008-06-15 at 18:55 +1000, NeilBrown wrote:
> On Sun, June 15, 2008 2:54 pm, Nigel Cunningham wrote:
> >                                                                I'd like
> > to replace them both by one thing, and I want that one thing to be Linux
> > based and open source. At the same time, though, I want it to be useful
> > for a long time. 3G seems to me ignorant mind to fit that bill better
> > than GSM. (They've just switched off CDMA here in Aussie; I don't know
> > anything for certain, but assume that it won't be too many years before
> > GSM goes the same way). Or maybe I am just ignorant. Can you do sending
> > and receiving email and so on with GSM, or is that 3G only?
>
> How many years do you expect to get out of a 'phone?   Some people
> seem to change them every couple of years, and I'm sure GSM will last longer
> than that.

Well, I've had the Nokia since about 2001. I've purchased a new battery
in that time, but that's about all. Always prepaid, low usage up till
now.

> Yes, I would like 3G too, though I've heard it said on this forum that
> 3G is somewhat of a catch-all term for several related technologies, and
> it is not possible to have a single international 3G device.  I don't
> know how true that is.
>
> In any case, to answer your question: yes, you can send/receive Email
> on GSM.  GSM includes GPRS which is low-speed IP.  Similar sort of
> speed to a 56K modem.  OK for sending Email, just bearable for web
> browsing if that pages aren't too busy.

Ok. So given that I'm subscribed to LKML and so on, I'd probably want to
use webmail. Since we're saying 'low-speed IP' does that mean SSH would
be possible? Would providers tend to let you use SSH? (If I could use it
to do quick website admin tasks when away from home, that would be
great).

Nigel