Why not use foru

Clinton Ebadi clinton at unknownlamer.org
Fri Jun 13 19:05:09 CEST 2008

"arne anka" <openmoko at ginguppin.de> writes:

>>> Plus, forums usually have provisions for storage and selective
>>> notifications.
>>
>> you mail client doesn't store your email? wow! :)
>>

> do you store everry mail?
> as somebody said, the signal/noise-ratio here is rather bad (and i know,
> this thread is adding to it), take the iphone-prices and -plans thread(s),
> so there's a lot of mails one would delete -- but still sometimes you
> know, you read something in a amil long deleted and need to find it again.

This is why clients like Gnus have commands like catchup where you can
just mark every message in a folder as read. I read the mail that
looks worth reading and then just kill the rest.

But the mail is all there and searchable thanks to namazu. With
threading and anything else I want (e.g. messages from @openmoko.com
addresses are highlighted so I can more easily see threads that aren't
just people idling about wasting time).

There is no need to delete email when you use IMAP; email doesn't use
that much space, and, unless you use a terrible client, nothing will
slow down from having mail going back forever.

--
Jessie: but today i was a nerd
Jessie: i even read slashdot.