moko running everything as root

arne anka openmoko at ginguppin.de
Sun Jun 15 21:15:40 CEST 2008

well, let's say we disagree in the classification of the om -- i think
it's a very powerfull mobile computer and thus should follow basically the
same idea of security.
the user's data can be backed up and thus restored if compromised or
destroyed.
the system itself may causes severe loss of money if compromised: sending
sms, calling those value-added numbers (what's the proper term in
english?), creating internet connections (and maybe sending spam).
accessing your pc if you connect to it to sync or so may corrupt your
computer (take a known vulnerabilty, create an exploit and put it on the
om -- if connected to your pc it could infiltrate).

imho the om does not match the criteria of "mobile world" you're applying
-- but that's just it: my opinion. maybe it changes once i get my paws on
a real freerunner ;-)