moko running everything as root

Flemming Richter Mikkelsen quatrox at gmail.com
Sun Jun 15 22:01:18 CEST 2008

On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 9:15 PM, arne anka <openmoko at ginguppin.de> wrote:
> well, let's say we disagree in the classification of the om -- i think
> it's a very powerfull mobile computer and thus should follow basically the
> same idea of security.
> the user's data can be backed up and thus restored if compromised or
> destroyed.
> the system itself may causes severe loss of money if compromised: sending
> sms, calling those value-added numbers (what's the proper term in
> english?), creating internet connections (and maybe sending spam).
> accessing your pc if you connect to it to sync or so may corrupt your
> computer (take a known vulnerabilty, create an exploit and put it on the
> om -- if connected to your pc it could infiltrate).
>
> imho the om does not match the criteria of "mobile world" you're applying
> -- but that's just it: my opinion. maybe it changes once i get my paws on
> a real freerunner ;-)

On my laptop, I can choose if I want to run SE Linux or not.
I think that the at least one image should run default with a
non-root user and everything in /etc/sudoers. This way,
people can uncomment inside that file and apply the
security they like.

The reason is that some people will use it as a phone,
while other people might even use it without a sim.
That means we may need different security policies.