GSoC Project status update 2: Speech Recognition in Open Moko

saurabh gupta saurabhgupta1403 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 15:04:56 CEST 2008

Hello everyone,

Here is the status update of GSoC speech recognition project for open moko.
I have implemented some subroutines in C for the implementation of Hidden
Markov Model for speech processing. As ARM 32-bit processors do not have
inbuilt fixed point arithmetic, So all floating point calculations are
emulated in software. As a result the processing time is very high and
performance degrades dramatically specially for multi threaded applications.
So, I have written fixed point codes in which all calculations are handled
through fixed point. I have used the 16:16 notation for fixed point and used
32 bit integer to represent a fixed point. Multiplication and division
procedures for fixed point are implemented through macros. As the project
progresses, the stress will be given to optimize the codes
more.

Currently the coding phase of this project is going on and some
codes(without full compilation) have been released here:
https://projects.openmoko.org/frs/?group_id=146
(I couldn't use the svn because my public key is still not authorized).

An initial Design Document for this project has also been released and can
be found here:
https://projects.openmoko.org/docman/index.php?group_id=146&selected_doc_group_id=145&language_id=1

The coding phase will continue for some more time and after enough amount of
code is ready, I will start working on open moko tools and start building
test applications to get comfortable with it.

Any suggestions and comments will be highly appreciated.

The progress status is continuously updated here also:
http://saurabh1403.wordpress.com/

--
Saurabh Gupta
Electronics and Communication Engg.