bluetooth proximity

Tilman Baumann tilman at baumann.name
Mon Jun 16 16:41:17 CEST 2008

W. B. Kranendonk wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I wondered, can two bluetooth devices ping each other and find out their distance or relative speeds?

Very unlikely.
But some bluetooth devices can tell you the signal level of any peer.
With that, you could aproximate the distance.
Would be interesting if our device can do this.

> Not in the first place as some security tag to unlock my PC or house, but to use in a game-like setting.

The first option would at least work in any case. One could make hint
location based subsystem by detecting certain stationary bluetooth devices.
Deamons that trigger events when a bloetooth device comes in range have
already been implemented.