Font type and size was (QVGA V/s VGA for GTA03)

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at computer.org
Tue Jun 17 09:22:25 CEST 2008

This inspires me to do a different calculation based on biological and
physical facts:

According to (German) Wikipedia http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auflösungsvermögen
  the human eye can separate two distinct points if they are displaced
in an angle of 2' (2 minutes, i.e. 0.0333 degrees). For lines and
structures the resultion is up to 0.3' (i.e. 0.005 degrees).

Now, if you hold the display in distance of 40cm from your eyes (half
arm-length), this translates to (40cm * tan(0.03333 deg)) 0.02 cm,
i.e. 0.2 mm to see separate points.

On a display with 4.5 x 6 cm this means it should have at least 225 x
300 pixels ~ 130 dpi. QVGA.

But stop - to see separate points, you must have one that is on, then
one that is off and again one that is on. I.e. you need twice the
pixel density or you would simply have a homogenous surface!

=> 450 x 600 pixels ~ 260 dpi i.e. VGA

Now, the 2' was to distinguish two single white spots on an otherwise
black background. The lines and structure resolution of our eyes and
our image processing unit is much better. So, more than VGA is
definitively seen as better by most people (or they need new glasses).

Antialiasing just does a low-pass filter on the image so that the eye
is not so much disturbed by the rasterization of the pixels.

Conclusion:
* QVGA is much worse than the precision of the human eye, so I would
assume most people can read a better display
* Antialiasing does not improve the information content, it just
smoothens the edges
* VGA appears to match the precision to see two separated dots
* >VGA would still be observed as superior
* Antialiasing is no longer required if we go to approx. 1200 x 1500
pixels ~650 dpi on a 2.8 '' display in a distance of 40cm. This is the
biophysical limit where improved resultion becomes invisible. If you
hold it closer (with appropriate glasses or young eyes) you will still
be able to see pixels.

Finally let's try a look into the future: in 10 years such high
resolution displays may be available (e-book!) since the display
manufacturers already know this and work towards the limits.

But since all the discussion wasn't about quality but display and CPU
cost this is not important...

Nikolaus