openmoko and pci express voice modems

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Tue Jun 17 19:53:59 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 17 June 2008, Matt Flax wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to know whether it is possible to plug a pci express voice
> modem into a laptop and then use openmoko to make mobile calls from the
> laptop ?
>
> An example pci express card is the MC8775v :
> http://www.sierrawireless.com/resources/product/MC8775V%20Datasheet%20rev%2
>01.0.pdf
>
> Is anyone using this or another similar device to make calls from their
> laptop ?
>
> thanks
> Matt

It ought to be possible, though probably not out of the box. It seems like an
odd thing to do, but I'm sure you have a reason.

You could run asterisk on the laptop and use it to route calls between the
modem in the laptop and a SIP or IAX client running on the openmoko with a
USB or WiFi network connection. This ought to be fairly easy to set up,
assuming the card exposes its audio interfaces.

One or more of the network capable audio daemons could probably make the
openmoko appear as an audio interface on the laptop, so probably usable with
the modem.

You could try to get the openmoko to behave as a Bluetooth headset or
handsfree kit, but I'm not certain there's any software available to
implement this yet. This also assumes that the laptop can connect the card to
the bluetooth audio device.