GPS

Jisakiel jisakiel at yahoo.es
Mon Jun 23 23:49:47 CEST 2008

Let's see if I understood correctly the concepts involved here, as I am still a little bit confused...

- TTFF is when no almanac data is available. Unlike what's specified in http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Neo_FreeRunner , is not 40 seconds but 12 minutes (no small difference).
- TTFF shouldn't happen almost never, given that mobile phone is always -but it's first boot *ever*- in normal state as defined here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_to_first_fix  . Unless we have moved in a 100km radius without gps enabled, mobile phone does not have the correct time, we are in a car / train, and (dunnow if that's an AND or  OR) no previous almanac available, fixes should be a lot quicker. As in, how much?
- AGPS should make ¿everything? ¿TTFF only? by downloading a small data package.

My questions, then:

- AGPS can be served by the gsm network without data transfer costs? I mean: does it *need* to download it from the internet (with its GPRS associated connection and outrageous prices here in Spain), or is it transferred for free from the GSM operator? I understand this piece of information to be common to every GPS phone, not just openmoko...?
- In normal conditions a fix is quite quick (as in 2 or 3 seconds) and not too "expensive" in terms of battery or processing. Is that true?
- If I get in a car fixes get slower unless I have gps constantly on (which should eat the battery fast).
- Should I travel without network coverage (as in: by tube), when arrived at destiny fix will be slower. How much slower? Does AGPS help here?
- Is it possible to get some triangulation info from the GSM towers the phone is connected to? Possible as in "here's how on the openmoko", not as in "theoretically" ;), which I know that it is -my symbian phone does it, I remember some profile software which used that.

BTW all of the questions are because I am starting research for my final university project to do something similar to the "Locate" [1] application for Android, or the "context engine" from intel [2] , and I would sincerely love to do it on openmoko. For it to be useful , we would need to get position information "cheaply" -both in processing, time and battery-, as otherwise we couldn't be aware enough of the context of the mobile phone to act in consequence. Phone waiting 12 minutes and using 15% of the battery to realize we have entered a library and putting it into silence mode doesn't sound so useful for us ;).

[1]: http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/05/09/sneak-peak-at-android-apps-out-of-mit/
[2]: http://blogs.intel.com/research/2008/03/kevin_kahn_on_redefining_mobil.php or http://blogs.intel.com/research/2008/04/last_week_the_intel_developer.php