OT: Zimbra & iCal

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Tue Jun 24 08:04:54 CEST 2008

On 23 Jun 2008, at 16:05, Joseph Reeves wrote:
> http://www.zimbra.com/forums/zimbrame-j2me-client/12642-vote-phones-
> zimbra-j2me-client.html
>
> For those that don't know, Zimbra is an awesome email/collaboration
> suite, they're asking for people to vote on the next mobile platform
> that their client will be released on.

A bit of Googling indicates that Zimbra supports iCal (Apple iCal
and, presumably, other iCal-standard clients).

This allows syncing of calendar contacts across multiple machines &
devices without using Zimbra's own client. You should be able to use
the Thunderbird calendaring program, for instance, and have your
spouse add appointments to your diary from iCal on her Mac.

Has anyone used this?

I had been planning to implement Apple's open-source iCal server, but
it's not generally packaged for Linux - so requires download from
SVN, manual wossisnaming of dependencies and compilation from source
- and seems to be a bit of a "moving target" at the moment. Although
I find that Zimbra isn't packaged for my distro (Gentoo) there does
seem to be a lot more documentation on Zimbra (including how to get
it running on Gentoo), and it's surely more mature than Apple's iCal
(on a Linux host, at least).

Stroller.