upgrade memory card

Kevin Dean kevin at foreverdean.info
Tue Jun 24 22:42:35 CEST 2008

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 4:31 PM, Vinc Duran <uberpfloyd at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I have a question about the miniSD card in the FreeRunner. If I want
> to install a larger card at some point is it any easier to already
> have the new card in hand before I even turn on the FR and just
> install it when I get the FR? I'm wondering if the card comes blank or
> does it have important stuff on it already when the FR arrives. Also
> wondering if when I turn on the device will it start using the card in
> a big way by itself?

The card is 100% optional. The 512 MB card that comes with it is
blank. All of the "important" system information is stored in Flash
itself. THe SD card is simply mounted once the device is booted, so to
install a bigger card all you have to do is physically insert it and
turn the device on. Freerunner will function just fine without any
card at all but there are obvious benefits to having one. :)

> I'd like to avoid having to ask for help after breaking the phone for
> instance by yanking out the card after the OS puts something important
> there.

Nothing system-side is put on it. IIRC, older Qtopia snapshots on the
1973 put user data on the card if it were there, but it's possible
that was me playing with a symlink too. :P Assuming for a moment it
DID put the data on the card, removing it would simply make you "start
fresh" as if you have booted for hte first time. Not something
horrible, since you can reinsert the card, and you'll probably back up
your card if you're upgrading anyway.