GSM Tower Location and GPS

Charles Edward Pax pax at
Tue Jun 24 23:44:40 CEST 2008

Here's an idea: OpenMoko shows me locations of GSM towers near me by knowing
my location via GPS. This could be useful when in a remote area. Let's say
I'm in a valley, have no GMS signal, and a member of my party or I have an
injury. It would be useful to know in which direction I should travel to get
a signal in the shortest time period.

Here's another idea: Record signal strength and position information for
generating a coverage map. We can record tower code, signal strength, and
phone location. This information could be used with the Open Street Map data
to generate a real-world coverage map. This could also be useful during an
emergency in a remote area. Instead of just knowing where the towers are I
could look at the coverage map generated from other users.

What do you folks think?