AVee openmoko-comunity at
Wed Jun 25 01:42:02 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 24 June 2008 14:45, john wrote:
> 2008/6/24 Jisakiel <jisakiel at>:
> [snip]
> > - Is it possible then to fetch approximate position from the associated
> > GSM towers then? I guess it depends on the subset of commands the chip
> > implements, but I didn't have the time to read over those *extensive*
> > documents as I'm still finishing my exams. I somehow suspect though that
> > the GSM commands do not cover for that, and that'd be proprietary for the
> > chip... Please correct me if I'm mistaken. I have no idea as well on how
> > precise is that.
> [snip]
> Well if you mean obtain coordinates via triangulation it is
> technically possible but in reality we are constrained by the GSM
> operators and what information they are willing to give us. If you are
> a large corporation such as Google and throw them some money you will
> get access to such data. As Joe Public you will probably have to rely
> on closed third party API's (e.g. Skyhook) to access similar
> functionality or alternatively try one of the community driven
> database lookup approaches.

I'm no expert on the subject, but my impression was that even a very rough
position would help to reduce the time to fix. Where rough would be in
the 'which country' range.
If that's not good enough data fetched from might help as

Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no
account be allowed to do the job.
  -- Douglas Adams