Slashdot post but no web store?

Marcus Bauer marcus.bauer at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 10:16:29 CEST 2008

On Fri, 2008-06-27 at 02:30 +0200, Joerg Reisenweber wrote:
> > I connect my 1973 to my car's
> > AUX input and it sounds just fine. The issue he has is with the
> > headset, not the jack. Either way, his assessment is true - headset
> > quality and audio issues make using the Freerunner as a DAP impossible
> > today.
>
> Only (partially) true for usage with low impedance headphones.

This question has been asked before on the list: can you provide any
pointers to such headsets? They don't seem to exist. And at least Nokia
headsets with 2.5mm plug use a different wiring and don't work on the
Neo.

Can you please tell us which headphones are high impedance and have the
same wiring? This question is kind of open since a year.

> Our tests on GPS TTFF where quite comparable with some of the best devices
> available. However note there is some data GPS *has* to download from sat
> for "virgin" fix, which may take as long as 12min due to low bandwidth the
> sats offer (just takes this time for them to send one complete set of ephem
> and alm),

Under good conditions all modern GPS chips have a cold start TTFF
("virgin fix") of ~45secs. 12min is the value for 8 to 10 year old
chips.

> On tests done at Taipei the TTFF was around ~40sec without(!)
> AGPS, IIRC.

All reports on the MLs spoke about minutes or not getting a fix at all.

> So this is a clear sw-issue.

What could be the problem then? Usually you power the GPS up and you
listen on /dev/ttySAC1 for the NMEA sentences. That's how it works on
the Neo1973 and every other device. What software tweaking can be made?