Community Initiative GTK

Joseph Reeves iknowjoseph at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 18:04:21 CEST 2008

> Which is why I wondered what happended to the previous plans to provide
> a complete "mobility software set". But perhaps the aim of OpenMoko has
> always been to release a phone, and that I daydreamed the software stack?
> :-/

I wondered the exact same thing. From the front page of the wiki:

"Openmoko™ born as an Open Source project under  GPL and LGPL license
and dedicated to delivering an open software stack on mobile
platforms, shipped its first product, the Neo 1973, on July 9 2007;
and then, turned the project into a start-up company with one aim:
create great mobile products using the Openmoko stack: Open. Mobile.
Free."

So the plan from the early days was to release an Open Source software
stack, but this stack had to be radically altered at the 11th hour to
get the hardware out of the door? Erm...