Community Initiative GTK

Mike Doody mikedoody at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 20:10:59 CEST 2008

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 11:56 AM, Marcus Bauer <marcus.bauer at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-06-27 at 17:27 +0200, Francesco Cat wrote:
>> I must have missed something... Can you post some links to explain
>> what are the future plans for the Software Stack? Will GTK not be
>> present any more?
>
> Basically Openmoko has stopped the development of the GTK stack in order
> to start a new stack called ASU. There are some 10.000 developers for
> GTK who can start any time making software for the Neo while there are
> very few developers for ASU, maybe 50. ASU is only used on the Neo
> whereas your GTK apps will run on the desktop or on the new MID devices
> like the ASUS eeePC right out of the box. Naturally for an open source
> developer it is a difference if the software will run on some hundred
> Neos or on some million PCs and MIDs.

I'm confused what this ASU stack is that you are talking about?  When
I look at the architecture picture on the framework page
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/OpenmokoFramework I don't see ASU. I see
Gtk+ and Qtopia and Enlightenment  (and X11).

So this ASU stack is only used on the Neo and nowhere else? If ASU is
Qtopia or EFL, then I'm not so sure that's true...

Regards,
-mike