Community Initiative GTK

Tilman Baumann tilman at baumann.name
Fri Jun 27 20:22:50 CEST 2008

Mike Doody wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 11:56 AM, Marcus Bauer <marcus.bauer at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, 2008-06-27 at 17:27 +0200, Francesco Cat wrote:
>>> I must have missed something... Can you post some links to explain
>>> what are the future plans for the Software Stack? Will GTK not be
>>> present any more?
>> Basically Openmoko has stopped the development of the GTK stack in order
>> to start a new stack called ASU. There are some 10.000 developers for
>> GTK who can start any time making software for the Neo while there are
>> very few developers for ASU, maybe 50. ASU is only used on the Neo
>> whereas your GTK apps will run on the desktop or on the new MID devices
>> like the ASUS eeePC right out of the box. Naturally for an open source
>> developer it is a difference if the software will run on some hundred
>> Neos or on some million PCs and MIDs.
>>

> I'm confused what this ASU stack is that you are talking about?
A Qtpia build based on X11. (Qtopia is usually framebuffer)
Fancy enlightenment launcher and applications menu.
Qtopia base apps.
And some individual new apps only seen on this platform. i think based
on enlightenment APIs.

> I see
> Gtk+ and Qtopia and Enlightenment  (and X11).

Which is what ASU is composed of. ;)

> So this ASU stack is only used on the Neo and nowhere else?

More or less the other way. It only works well on Freerunner.
> If ASU is
> Qtopia or EFL, then I'm not so sure that's true...
It's both.