Community Initiative GTK

Tilman Baumann tilman at
Fri Jun 27 20:27:44 CEST 2008

Joachim Steiger wrote:
> Marcus Bauer wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I'm wondering if there is any interest in maintaining the GTK software
>> stack?
> would be nice.
> e.g. take the last gtk-based ui apps, rip out all libgsmd and neod
> dependencies and start communicating with the new middleware from FSO.

My idea too.
I would like to see this...

For what it is worth, the original GTK platform is nod dead. Attention
just shifted away.
And stability is ok as far as i can tell.
Gsmd allegedly breaks standby. But works for me.

Will see. I find the look and the UI design in general really well choosen.
But it is not GTK what buys me. As long as GTK is there as a lib for
compatibility. (which is AFAIK also the case with the other builds based
on X11)
But i would not mind if the Toolkit of the future would be EFL.

What i like with the old Framework (GTK thingie) is that it is pretty
much the same what other mobile communications systems use as a platform
and riding on pretty well established tools used on everyday linux systems.
GTK, GConf, D-Bus, (embedded) Evolution, X11, Avahi and probably some
more like some gnome stuff...