rationale for ASU (and change from GTK to Qt)

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at openmoko.org
Sat Jun 28 04:05:24 CEST 2008

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 22:11:06 +0100 Stroller <linux.luser at myrealbox.com> babbled:

> On 27 Jun 2008, at 19:01, Ron K. Jeffries wrote:
>

> > Can someone explain the rationale for the decision
> > to switch from the original GTK based OpenMoko
> > to QT based version known as April Software Update (ASU)?
>

> Rasterman is the rationale, as far as I can make out.

i had nothing to do with it. i, in fact suggested to keep the current gtk apps
as-is just improve the "desktop environment". others at openmoko insisted even
on just qtopia - no x11. they wanted qtopia because for them "it worked". we
ended up with a compromise of a port of qtopia on x11 - but then also needing a
custom wm.