The glamo chip and its future

Michael Stather lists at michaelstather.com
Sat Jun 28 15:54:43 CEST 2008

Robert Schuster schrieb:
> Hi.
>
> Michael Stather schrieb:
>
>> I was a fan of the openmoko idea even when it was announced at first.
>> Now when the first "real" device was announced I was thinking about
>> buying one but then I realized the situaltion with the 3D chip which I
>> read was "a very big design mistake".
>>
> Just want to add this: Do you know that the Nokia Internet Tablet
> devices contain a capable 3d accelerator as well? The reason it is not
> used is the same as for the FreeRunner.
>
> Regards
> Robert

No I didn't, but it's very interesting since I didn't expect Nokia to
care much about openness. Or is it because of the slow bus speeds?
With ATI releasing the specs for all newer graphics adapters, would
there be a chance to get an Imageon chip on board. Or something from
another vendor. Or an FPGA like I said, this would be the "holy grail of
openness" and the 3D core could be developed and provided with updates
for every model.
3D acceleration on the BeagleBoard, AFAIK this board is full of (very
stupid *gg) bugs and somebody has to find a 3D accelerator as well to
plug it in ;)