More HW from OpenMoko

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Sat Jun 28 17:05:51 CEST 2008

On Saturday 28 June 2008, Robert Schuster wrote:
> Hi,
> Mickey writes: "Openmoko is selling hardware products."
>
> Heck, why must OpenMoko only sell mobile phones?

That's all they've sold direct so far, but it was said a long time ago that
non-phone products may be in the pipeline

> I like Linux-based devices that are free as in freedom. So I would
> likely also buy a device from OpenMoko if it is a wireless router, a
> SOHO NAS (think NSLU2), a PDA or perhaps a gaming handheld.

I would prefer Openmoko to fill holes where there aren't already free devices
available. Most of the areas you mention already have hardware available
that's as open as the Neo1973 and Freerunner:

Routers - wireless or not:
PC Engines ALIX series - http://www.pcengines.ch/
MicroTik RouterBOARDs - http://www.routerboard.com/comparison.html

SOHO NAS:

Gaming handheld:
Pandora

Then there's the Neuros OSD which really needs a successor with a better
output than composite video, but is otherwise rather nice.

The PDA is one area there's a gap I would like filling. I want a modern
incarnation of the Psion 5. I'll just have to see how the Freerunner plus a
bluetooth keyboard do as a replacement. It might just be close enough...

I would also like a less power-hungry version of the Chumby, available outside
the US.