gps app

Tilman Baumann tilman at baumann.name
Mon Jun 30 17:40:42 CEST 2008

Yogiz wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 15:46:01 +0200
> "arne anka" <openmoko at ginguppin.de> wrote:
>
>> i am not really into all this gps stuff (the freerunner will be my
>> first device with gps), but maybe somebody finds this useful:
>>
>>> http://vlkgps.bielyvlk.sk/
>>

> Thanks but this base seems to be already covered as far as I know. We
> have tangoGPS that uses OpenStreetMap as it's backend and a small status
> showing app for speed, current position and so on.

Don't forget Navit. Which is a real vector based navigation software
which works offline and with various map formats.
Tangogps downloads tiles (images!) from the internet to show maps. And
tangogps uses gpsd, which is supposed to become obsolete...

Really, i like tangogps. But it is not the definitive answer to mapping
and routing.
I don't know if this java thing is any good, but if so, i see no reason
not to have it. (Assuming the performance is good and we have a java
runtime...)