Virtual QWERTY Keyboards to be used with Fingers...

Karsten Ensinger karsten.at.openmoko at onlinehome.de
Sat Mar 1 08:47:31 CET 2008

Sorry to jump into the thread this late, but I am wondering
if you already examined the following Wiki-Link?
We had a very extensive discussion about text input running
on the community list several months ago.
Nearly all proposals were documented on the following Wiki:

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Wishlist:Text_Input

My personal favourites are the Quickwriting (there is even
a java demo available) and "another text input" (although
it seems to be another implementation of this more moko-like
implementation: http://www.micropp.se/openmoko/splash.html ).

If I remember correctly, "all" participants of the discussion
came to the conclusion, that a regular qwerty keyboard is not
sufficient no matter how clever you "pimp" it, due to
restriction of precision of finger typing and lack of screen
space.

An "intelligent" input prediction (e.g. T9) sucks, when one
is using different languages regularly (you always have to
remember switching to the right dictionary BEFORE typing).
( Not everyone on this planet is using english in day to day
conversations. ;-) )
They also suck if ones vocabulary is much more advanced than
the one which is implemented (and I personally do not want
to adjust my vocabulary to fit the needs of the input system).

Just my 2 cents.

Regards
Karsten