Application idea: Bicycle computer

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Thu Mar 6 15:47:21 CET 2008

On Thursday 06 March 2008, David Pottage wrote:
> On Thu, March 6, 2008 12:11 pm, Schmidt András wrote:
> > Joseph Reeves wrote:
> >> Dear all,
> >>
> >> Please excuse my blatant blog-promotion, but here's a short entry on
> >> my use of the Neo1973 and tangoGPS as a bicycle computer:
> >>
> >> http://blogs.thehumanjourney.net/finds/entry/20080306
> >
> > In PDA shops you can buy a bicycle mount for PDA's. I hope it will be
> > compatible with the Neo.
>
> More of a problem is the fact that the Neo is not waterproof, and if you
> put it in a waterproof case, the touch screen can't be used.
>
> Perhaps it would be possible to attach a waterproof external keyboard via
> USB, and control the Neo using that. The keyboard cable would pass via a
> well sealed hole in a waterproof case.

Depends on the case. I've used a Psion 5 in a ziploc bag strapped to the bars
before. Touchscreen was fine. For a more robust commercial alternative try
this:
	http://www.proporta.com/F02/PPF02P05.php?t_id=42&t_mode=des
For something more rugged there are these:
	http://www.proporta.com/F02/PPF02P05.php?t_id=1075&t_mode=des
	http://www.proporta.com/F02/PPF02P05.php?t_id=1077&t_mode=des