OpenMoko and accessories design

Andy Green andy at openmoko.com
Thu Mar 13 11:42:20 CET 2008

> I am happy this interest someone.
>
> The advantages of an external mini usb camera is:
>
> 1. It does not require reproject of hardware (it is nice to have
> autoalimented usb port :)
> 2. It can be bought only if a person want, who don't like don't buy it.
> 3. It can be upgrader with a better version if for example I need a 15
> Mpixel webcam :) (I am joking) or if I need to replace because the cam
> is not well running (image noise)

I was sold on the idea already personally, no need for reasons here :-)

> 1. Mini usb port support

I investigated this yesterday and hacked open a mini USB -> USB A plug
cable already and soldered on a USB A socket instead, and plugged in a
USB memory stick.  If you do

echo host > /sys/devices/platform/s3c2410-ohci/usb_mode

and currently on the git tree, although the path may change soon

echo 1 > /sys/devices/platform/neo1973-pm-host.0/hostmode

then the USB memory stick is recognized by the phone.  So we are already
good to go for hacking a random webcam or in fact random USB device
generally on the phone AFAIK.  That's why I saw this is something
possible for users to consider to hack on, it's getting close to being
the same as plugging the things into a Linux laptop and trying to get it
working.

> 2. Can clip stable to Freerunner phone (I don't think he can support
> only on mini-usb port)

Right, no idea about that.

> 3. The full support by linux kernel
> 4. (optional but it will be nice) open hardware specification

Yes at this stage it seems you can pick a cheap webcam supported by PWC
driver

http://www.saillard.org/linux/pwc/

or similar driver project, hack up a cable, set the host mode and you
just need to crosscompile the driver module.

I guess you need a usermode app that knows about /dev/video0 and that's it.

- -Andy