FreeRunner delayed a further 6 months?!?!??

Timo Jyrinki timo.jyrinki at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 22:01:43 CET 2008

2008/3/14, Mark <wolfmane at gmail.com>:
> Wake up, folks

Hello. I think I'm awake.

>  If you want a device that's been out for a long time, has a bigger and
>  higher-resolution screen, and *just works* right out of the box, get
>  yourself a Nokia N800 (or if you have money to burn, an N810

First speaking about Neo being not open, it's funny to advertise a
device with lots of proprietary software and problematic, very closed
pieces of hardware, preventing any theoretical free software
distribution to be actually usable on the device. And regarding out of
the box functionality, it plays none of digital music I have since the
vendor refuses to support free/open media formats, even actively
fighting against them.

I don't think there's currently a competitor on sight to Neo phones on
openness, though of course things could always get improved. My pet
peeve would be to work on i18n and open up mailing list to
translators, but I guess it's again a bit later on :)

-Timo