FreeRunner delayed a further 6 months?!?!??

David "Lefty" Schlesinger lefty at access-company.com
Sun Mar 16 17:10:48 CET 2008

Mark Haury wrote:
> Matt Manjos matt at manjos.com wrote on Sun Mar 16 16:23:09 CET 2008:
>
>> I think the main concern with FIC at the moment is that if they
>> release the Freerunner developer-only hardware now, produced in 10x
>> the quantity of the 1973 (what was hinted to earlier), and some major
>> hardware problem was found, it could destroy the credibility and the
>> resources of the project. I hate waiting like this, and I was hoping
>> to get the Freerunner developer model for my birthday in a few weeks,
>> but I'd much rather wait and have the guarantee that I won't be SOL if
>> there is a problem with the function or the longevity of the device.
>
> Which is worse: the fear of possible failure, or certain failure?
Clearly the words of someone who's never, ever, worked on a complex
hardware project. No, "just ship it" is not good advice.
> The fear of failure is usually self-fulfilling prophecy.
Lack of proper planning and oversight, not to mention due diligence,
pretty much always is.
> Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Do you have any notion of what it costs to produce multiple thousands of
smartphones, just in monetary terms? That's a lot to "venture".
> If they're constantly going to give in to the fear of failure, then
> that is certainly what's going
> to happen.
Like I say, I don't get the impression that you've got the experience to
have an informed opinion on this, in all honesty.