FreeRunner delayed a further 6 months?!?!??

Michael Shiloh michael at openmoko.org
Mon Mar 17 18:03:44 CET 2008

Marco Trevisan (Treviño) wrote:
> Pietro "m0nt0" Montorfano ha scritto:
>> 1) The Freerunner IS free, there are only some firmware things that
>> aren't open and that never will be open but they are only firmware,
>> even your PC run something which is not open source (BIOS, graphic
>> card firmware, cdrom firmware, every kind of firmware you got is
>> generally closed.....)
>
> I do agree with this... Btw imho all the words written in this thread
> are due to only one thing: the lack of communication by the FIC
> developers (the hardware ones first of all, but also the software ones).
>
> I think they mostly "talk" with their code, but the most part of the
> community doesn't really know what they're doing and what is really
> happening in Taiwan. That's why this thread started!
>
> So, imho not to loose credibility FIC/Openmoko should have a better
> relationship with its followers relasing more informations both about
> the project status and about the future plans.
>
> Don't you agree?

Yes, we agree 100%. And we try to do this. Most of the developers do
this on the kernel mailing list, both hardware and software engineers.

It is my job to bring other news from inside the company out to you.
Right now, there is very little inside the company that is not already
on the kernel list. We are testing, we continue to find issues, we
continue to resolve them and move on to the next issue. I have nothing
really to add to that.

I'm trying to get a sense of where we are in the manufacturing process.
As soon as I hear that I'll let you know.

Michael