Neo Freerunner manufacturing status

steve steve at openmoko.com
Thu Mar 20 01:42:47 CET 2008

Some points.

nearly everyone misses the difference between internal schedules and
external schedules.

In closed companies you never publish the Internal schedule. Announcing the
future product kills the present product.
You wait until the cake is fully baked, then you deliver it. Nobody sees
your internal slips. Nobody sees the nasty bug it took forever to find.
nobody sees the struggle and the hard work. They see the final product.
and it is always "on time."

At Openmoko we choose to do things differently. Everyone on the outside sees
the sausage being made. heck they help make the sausage!. Hard core
engineers get this. It's very intimidating to have people watch your day to
day struggling. It would be easy to be closed and announce new products only
when they are finished.

We choose a different path.

specific questions about PVT.

First DVT parts must complete testing. DVT testing is comprehensive. the
device is expected to pass.

question about A5 and A6.  The difference between a5 and A6 is yield
related. I don't have the specifics of the change order. An A5 will function
exactly like an A6 does. It is Yeild only.
sample A6 PCBs are coming into the factory end of march.

How long will PVT take? On paper, if everything works according to NOMINAL
schedules, then we would schedule 2-3 PVT runs ( run, test, tweak,
run,test,tweak, run,test,tweak) If my product were the only product we built
and if all tests were nominal, that would take a couple weeks.

Then comes production. This too needs to be scheduled.

If I guess at this stage I put huge pressure on engineering when they are
trying to perfect this device. what is the point in that?

The next significant Milestone will be the first PVT run.

I'll update folks when that happens