Price of the Freerunner published?

Lally Singh lally.singh at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 16:32:31 CET 2008

Definite cultural problem within the open source/free software
community.  People use it for both definitions of 'free', and complain
heavily over everything that isn't free (in $$).   Small companies
need to account for the risks they're taking for the community in
their margins, otherwise they starve and fail -- notice the # of
failed linux companies in the last 10 years?

JWZ once said, "linux is only free if your time is worth nothing."
With modern distros, that's no longer the case -- you get a nice
desktop system with less hassle than most windows users.  But, the
misconception between money, labor, and risk continues on in the
community.

In the oft-repeated spirit of the open source community, if you don't
like how someone else is doing it, do it yourself.

Hmm, just thinking out loud here.  Would it be possible to distribute
OM (Om now?) phones through the community?  Single LUGs get together
and order a batch (maybe resell as a fundraiser), with the help of
some 'become-a-distributor-quick' system?  I don't know how
complicated it is in the EU to sell imported goods (I'm in the states,
this sort of stuff is one of the few last benefits), is it possible to
make it easy for a small group (or just 1 person with a few hundred
euro) to make themselves a distributor?