TomTom on Openmoko?

Marcus Bauer marcus.bauer at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 14:27:32 CET 2008

On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 14:05 +0100, Marcin Juszkiewicz wrote:
> Dnia Thursday 27 of March 2008, Christ van Willegen napisał:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 1:30 PM, Sebastian Hammerl
> >
> > <sebastian at music-starvation.de> wrote:
> > >  as far as i know on the TomTom go devices is running Linux. So would
> > > it be possible to rip out the TomTom applikation and get it to work
> > > on Openmoko phone? It would be a great GPS application.
> >
> > Why not use tangoGPS and OpenStreetMap maps?
>
> Because OSM maps suxx? Lack details, lack streets, lack too many things to
> be usable?
>
> OSM is nice idea but it is only idea. It will never replace commercial
> maps.

Hey, why even buy a Neo? Compared to any other phone it "suxx".  It will
never replace commercial phones like a Nokia N95 or and an iphone.

Or will it? :^)))

All projects start out small. Wikipedia started with one article and
Linux with one line of code.  And Openstreetmap started with a first
dot.

The coverage of the Netherlands has already commercial quality (go and
have a look) - actually it is already better than commercial data and in
the US the governments TIGER data has been imported.

Looking how OSM evolved in the last two years, I'm sure it will in two
more year cover many parts of the world better than commercial maps.

Coming back to my first question: I hope that the Neo's will be the
better alternative compared to N95 and iphone. That's why we are all
here.

Marcus