TomTom on Openmoko?

Sander van Grieken sander at 3v8.net
Thu Mar 27 15:20:28 CET 2008

> On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 2:51 PM, Marcus Bauer <marcus.bauer at gmail.com> wrote:
>>  And working phone operating systems can be bought from Symbian, Apple
>>  and even Microsoft. And yet we develop a new one!
>>
>>  The whole point of Open Source is the freedom (and fun) to participate.
>
> That's why I am opposed to running TomTom software on the Freerunner.
> I know their software, and I know their maps, but closed source and
> closed data will not help us forward...

I disagree. There's a difference between free speech and free beer, and you want the
latter.

I am willing to pay for high quality maps, because it takes considerable amount of work
to create them and keep them up-to-date, AND it doesn't impair my 'free speech'
freedoms. I'd rather use an open source navigation software together with commercial
maps than use the tomtom navigation software, because that WOULD impair my 'free speech'
freedom.

grtz,
Sander