TomTom on Openmoko?

joerg joerg.twinklephone at gmx.de
Thu Mar 27 15:48:26 CET 2008

Am Do  27. März 2008 schrieb Sander van Grieken:
> > On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 2:51 PM, Marcus Bauer <marcus.bauer at gmail.com>
wrote:
> >>  And working phone operating systems can be bought from Symbian, Apple
> >>  and even Microsoft. And yet we develop a new one!
> >>
> >>  The whole point of Open Source is the freedom (and fun) to participate.
> >
> > That's why I am opposed to running TomTom software on the Freerunner.
> > I know their software, and I know their maps, but closed source and
> > closed data will not help us forward...
>
> I disagree. There's a difference between free speech and free beer, and you
want the
> latter.
>
> I am willing to pay for high quality maps, because it takes considerable
> amount of work to create them and keep them up-to-date, AND it doesn't
> impair my 'free  speech' freedoms.
> I'd rather use an open source navigation software together
> with commercial maps than use the tomtom navigation software, because that
> WOULD impair my 'free speech' freedom.

No, even this actually is perfect. I'd like very much to see TomTom adapt and
_sell_ their app to NEO.
And of course it's nice to have an OSS-app that is capable to read commercial
map data, Teleatlas or brand TomTom (isn't it the same?).
And it's damn cool to have community driven map data like OSM with a detail
and accuracy that's comparable to commercial data.

In no way TomTom will stop OSM progress, when they make "go" available on NEO.
It's the other way round: NEO gains popularity with killer apps like
GPS-route&guidance, I easily can imagine a lot of people who start by using
TomTom, later may consider to migrate to OSM, for actuality / foreign maps /
fun, whatever reason.

jOERG