Accelerometer brainstorming

Alexey Feldgendler alexey at feldgendler.ru
Fri Mar 28 14:21:33 CET 2008

Just like my recent post about using GPS to enhance the phone, I'll try to
explore the synergy opportunities for the accelerometers that Neo has.
Once again, some of this might have already been discussed.

* Intuitive mute: put the ringing phone on a flat horizontal surface
(table) with its screen facing down to stop the ringing. Intuitive for the
user and easy to detect with the accelerometers. Could also be used to
hang up the current call. The gesture is very distinguishable and is hard
to misinterpret because there aren't many situations when the user would
normally put the phone on the table screen down.

* Vibration control: when the phone is lying flat, either with its screen
up or down, don't vibrate, so as to not produce the annoying loud noise.
Ring instead, or do something else. Maybe make a weaker vibration, if the
vibrator can do that.

* Step counter: use the accelerometers to count steps when walking or
running. Some people use dedicated devices for that.

* GPS power saving: you can't move if you don't accelerate, so don't do
power-expensive location detection until acceleration is detected. Once
it's detected, start monitoring the location and keep doing it. Stop
monitoring once the position stops changing for a while.