More than a phone with a GPS navigator

Alexey Feldgendler alexey at feldgendler.ru
Fri Mar 28 16:00:39 CET 2008

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 14:59:42 +0100, Andy Green <andy at openmoko.com> wrote:

> | That's the point: while you're inside a building, all you have to know
> | is that you're still inside.

> Well you can know where you are in the building from AP scan monitoring.
> ~ In an office building for example you might go to a meeting room or a
> cafeteria and want that as a different "place", but you never get to the
> open sky moving around between these places.

Fair point about different rooms. However, attempts to locate yourself up
to room precision will fail a lot -- the range of one WiFi AP isn't really
confined within the walls of a room, so just walking the corridor past the
meeting room or sitting in an adjacent room would trigger the meeting room
profile. I don't see how it could be made to work up to room precision. It
seems to me that building precision is the best that's practically
possible.