Stylus Recommendation

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at openmoko.org
Sat May 3 02:13:02 CEST 2008

On Sat, 03 May 2008 00:38:40 +0200 Nicanor Babula <deadhorus at gmail.com> babbled:

we can't consider them - you're right. freerunner is "done". we can't go add
magnets to hold a stylus or anything else. there is nothing we can do to change
the freerunner (gta02) hardware or case or anything at this stage.

of course we can do things to change future phones before we have a case design
and mold done. once a case mold is done - there pretty much is no changing it
(changes may cost in the order of $100,000 or more, depending on complexity
and how many moulds are affected). remember that cost would then need to be
passed on in the product as a development cost. so if we expect to sell 10,000
phones, then we would add $10 to every phone - minimum. probably much more than
that. major case changes may cost $500,000 or more. in fact if we know the cost
has to go up by $10 we realise we will sell fewer because of the higher cost,
thus to make up for the loss in unit sales... we have to increase even more -
so a $10 increase just on the cost basis becomes a $20 increase in retail
price. a complex change may then increase a phone cost by $100... :(

so... remember - every change that is requested is a cost. especially case
changes. no such thing as a free lunch! :(