Freerunner and external Display

Eric Olson eric at ericanddebbie.com
Sun May 4 15:49:33 CEST 2008

Ah darn, but at least it should work for presentations or
slideshows...and maybe pong :) if drivers support partial updates.

Here are some framerate estimates -- feel free to correct me if anything
looks off:
(most devices mention USB 2.0, hopefully they also work with USB 1.1)

QVGA: max: 13 FPS.
   Assuming QVGA is supported in hardware/driver.
   one of rasterman's earlier mails mentioned QVGA
       is about 320*240*1.5bytes per frame
640x480x8bit, max: 5 FPS
   Some devices mention this mode (640x480x8bits)

Note:  USB 1.1: max: 12 Mbit/sec or 1.5 MBytes per sec

Here are some resources I found quickly while looking around.  If
anybody tries one with the neo or freerunner, let us know.
http://www.winischhofer.eu/linuxsisusbvga.shtml
http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AddVGAAdapter
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Peripherals/USB_to_VGA

Eric

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
> On Sun, 04 May 2008 12:30:40 +0200 Florian Rebstock <florian.rebstock at gmx.de>
> babbled:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> what i ever want to know:
>> could it be possible - to connect the Freerunner with a external VGA
>> Display or Beamer ?
>> Because that would be pretty useful for small presentations or so...
>
> basically... no.
>
> u may try a usb vga out but it'll be slowwwww - usb1.1 only. so basically - no,
> not without extra external hardware and even hen... dubiously useful.

PS