Freerunner and external Display

Fredrik Wendt fredrik at wendt.se
Tue May 6 01:38:50 CEST 2008

Florian Rebstock <florian.rebstock at ...> writes:
> Shachar Shemesh schrieb:
> > Florian Rebstock wrote:
> >> could it be possible - to connect the Freerunner with a external VGA
> >> Display or Beamer ?

> > Just run a vnc server on the device. It looks even cooler when there
> > are no cables connecting the device to the projector during the
> > presentation.
> But i will need a computer with a vnc client. I think its much cooler -
> the presentation runs from my new phone, with 2 frames per second.

I couldn't agree more. I don't need speed - people are supposed to listen to me
while doing a presentation, not be amazed by 14 slides per second (fps)! ;)

Actually, I'm starting to feel like I'm going to be somewhat disappointed by the
performance of the device:
- battery drainage
- hard (= chose the right codec, recode everything) to get flowing video playback
- not being able to connect a VGA-over-USB
- no 3G = slow data access = no streaming of my music
- no 8GB microSD = I'll be able to carry < 10 % of my music (legal - ogg)
- need for stylus, but no place to keep it

I love the idea of this phone/miniature-PC, but I guess my hopes have been a
little to high. There's a lot of scenarios where the device won't be practical
to use (and commercial, closed alternatives have been working for some time).

Perhaps I should write a list of my intended usage, stop whining and see what is
possible when the actual device is in my hands. :)

/ Fredrik