questions for steve regarding group purchases

Flemming Richter Mikkelsen quatrox at gmail.com
Thu May 8 22:28:56 CEST 2008

On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 7:25 PM, Gilbert Hartmann <BertHartm at gmail.com> wrote:
> fee.
> |> i beg to differ. the whole handling would make the gain of readily
> |> packaging 10-packs and ship these en bloc to one dest. vanish.
> |> so larry is right. thats like requesting 10% generic discount
> |>
> |> the whole point of it is: we are no escrow company, we are no bank, we
> |> are not paypal.
> |> we build the free and open mobile phone.
> |> and we want to focus on that.
> |
> | I agree with Joachim.
> |
> | And one tips on how to solve this with payment. The person ordering
> | the 10-pack could
> | make a simple contract for payment & delivery of the phone. Then
> | people could pay
> | and as long as they can prove they payed, it would be up to the hub
> | person to prove
> | he sent the phone. The contract must include payment & shipping details.
> |
> | I will make a group order and have this kind of contract with some,
> | because I do not
> | have enough cash to order 22 phones ++.
> |
> | I think OM should just provide the 10-pack deal or the single phone
> | deal. If people do
> | not trust each other, then they order a single phone and get no
> | quantum discount.
> | This is not OM's problem. Please let OM do their job with developing
> | the phone. They
> | are not a shipping&insurance company.
> |

> I think the request was for Openmoko to let 10 people pay separately, but
> still
> ship one package out. This solves half the trust issue people may have
> (namely,
> the money half) as well as the issue where someone has to have at least
> $3700
> around in order to place the order. My understanding was that there would
> still
> be one shipment, and that there would still be trust issues with whomever
> received the package, but there's still the community building aspect and
> such.

Please do not ask for this. It would give OM so much extra work. The reason
for the 10-pack deal is that since it saves OM time and money, we get
a discount.
If you want OM to handle individual payments for group orders, they would
have much work with arranging this (deadline for when all in the group must
have payed, group_order_id to identify to which group you pay, etc)

I already told you that you can write a CONTRACT between YOU and the HUB
person. That will GARANTE you the PHONE OR MONEY BACK!
Please, instead of complaining, write this contract and maybe share it with
others.

OM has already given us a very low price. I do not believe the price
on the phone
covers all the expenses they have, so do not ask for a general 10% discount.

Please order a single phone if you have so much problems with a group order.

(I write this because I also want to buy a GTA04. I just want the open phones
and I don't understand why people complain about everything all the time)

--
Please don't send me Word or PowerPoint attachments.

Join the FSF as an Associate Member at:
<URL:http://www.fsf.org/register_form?referrer=5774>

Free your mind - Open(moko) your phone