Questions about Freerunner: Phone Usability, Battery Life, Shipping Date

Kunal Singh kunal at singhkunal.com
Sat May 10 06:13:22 CEST 2008

Hi,

    I am located in India, and I have decided to go for Free-runner.
    But, I am really wondering about why this phone is so costly?
    Apple will be releasing the iPhone in India later this year.
    This phone is likely to be priced much cheaper than free-runner
(free-runner is currently available for $500 in India).
    Also, it looks to me that iPhone has much more features (it has 8 GB
memory - I could not see similar in Free-runner).
    On a plus side, iPhone is fully tested. Their is official
performance rating for each feature.

    Why is the Free-runner cost so high?
    With open-source development, the cost of devices should in fact
come down (that is my thinking - correct me if I am wrong). At least be
at par with the commercial products.

    Is the high cost due to the low volume production? Or something
related to the location of production units?
    If the cost is high because of above (or similar) factors, I assume
that costs will come down in long run.
    In such a scenario, does any one have a (rough) idea about what the
final (appx) costs would be?
    Will it be any better than the commercial products?

    My interest in openMoko is purely from a developer's point of view
(I guess every one currently using it is has similar interests).
    And the reason why I want to participate in open source development
is that I want technology to proliferate and become affordable to the
common masses.
    If this objective is not going to be satisfied, I am going to feel a
bit dis-appointed with the loss of time which I spend on my efforts.

    Also, I really find the Free-runner too expensive just for the
development purpose. I am hoping that if I can use it as my cell-phone,
I can feel a little better. In case the phone is not practically usable
(very poor battery performance, or loosing networks, going to infinite
sleep etc), that will add to dis-appointment too.

    Another possibility - is it that Free-runner is much beyond iPhone
in feature list (which I have failed to capture)?

Regards,
Kunal Singh
www.singhkunal.com