Questions about Freerunner: Phone Usability, Battery Life, Shipping Date

Michele Renda michele.renda at gmail.com
Sat May 10 10:19:28 CEST 2008

Hello

I am not a phone production expert, but I will try to explain my point
of view.

Kunal Singh wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    I am located in India, and I have decided to go for Free-runner.
>    But, I am really wondering about why this phone is so costly?
>    Apple will be releasing the iPhone in India later this year.
>    This phone is likely to be priced much cheaper than free-runner
> (free-runner is currently available for $500 in India).
I don't know how cost the iphone in India. I can do the comparation with
the US price of Iphone.
The iphone cost 499$ for 4 Gb version and 599$ for 8 Gb version. (please
correct me if I am wrong) + 1 abbonament of 1 year (or 2, I don't
remember with an Operator).
Also this is a cost because by fact limit the possibility to activate
the abonament with the operator that you prefer. May be you will like
also, but it is a cost.

The FreeRunner cost 399$ + expedition (that in europe are around 70 $) +
taxes (but they are valid also with Iphone). So I think it is a bit cheaper.

In every case this kind of comparation is a bit senseless because we are
comparatin two different type of device.

1. IPhone want to be a phone easy of use, powerfull, styled (they used
the best designer to create it), closed (you can use only firmware
released by Apple), protected (the program you can install must to pass
by apple store.

2, FreeRunner want to be (for now) a more Power user phone, powerfull,
very open (in every this, from source code of Firmware to cad files),
where the user has all the freedom to install and to develop the program
that it want. You can put your had in it, to customize it in a way that
I phone don't permit.
If you want you can change also the operative system.

It is like comparating PC compatible with a Mac. Are devices can not to
be comparated. There is who want to be able to build his pc piece by
piece, and who want that it just run.

If you want to put your hands in or to partecipate as viewer to an
opensource developent or you have some ethical reason (like me), I think
is good for you a Freerunner.

If you want it just run (and well), that is styled, that use wallet
garden services, and IPhone is ok for you.

I was able to explain?
>    Also, it looks to me that iPhone has much more features (it has 8
> GB memory - I could not see similar in Free-runner).
It is expandible with micro sd bigger that 8 Gb, but you can do it only
if you need. Freerunner is not very usable as video playback device.
Than Openmoko is trying to use when is possible device with open
specification, and this is not very easy for a firm. Doing me they are
doing a lot to bring chip firms to open their specification, and this,
according me, help to make a better world!
>    On a plus side, iPhone is fully tested. Their is official
> performance rating for each feature.
They can not to test all the feature possible, because it is a open box :)

>    Why is the Free-runner cost so high?
>    With open-source development, the cost of devices should in fact
> come down (that is my thinking - correct me if I am wrong). At least
> be at par with the commercial products.
Open-source development doesn't mean that the programmer work for free!
This is a common error that a lot of person do.
In Openmoko there are a lot of talented persons that has a family and
they need a salary. Openmoko, with difference of Apple, take money only
on the sell of Freerunner, not also, like Apple, on the sales of the
music that they sell with I Tunes. Is normal that in case of Freerunner
the price go up

>    Is the high cost due to the low volume production? Or something
> related to the location of production units?
>    If the cost is high because of above (or similar) factors, I assume
> that costs will come down in long run.
>    In such a scenario, does any one have a (rough) idea about what the
> final (appx) costs would be?
>    Will it be any better than the commercial products?

It is volume related, it is target related, openess related, etc. I hope
it will become "other device" comparable in a short future, I hope a
lot, but for now, it can be comparated only thinking well which are
their particular characteristics.
>    My interest in openMoko is purely from a developer's point of view
> (I guess every one currently using it is has similar interests).
>    And the reason why I want to participate in open source development
> is that I want technology to proliferate and become affordable to the
> common masses.
>    If this objective is not going to be satisfied, I am going to feel
> a bit dis-appointed with the loss of time which I spend on my efforts.
>
>    Also, I really find the Free-runner too expensive just for the
> development purpose. I am hoping that if I can use it as my
> cell-phone, I can feel a little better. In case the phone is not
> practically usable (very poor battery performance, or loosing
> networks, going to infinite sleep etc), that will add to
> dis-appointment too.
>
>    Another possibility - is it that Free-runner is much beyond iPhone
> in feature list (which I have failed to capture)?
This return about what are the reason why you want a phone. If you are
interested more on Openness or on Usability, if you want to have the
full controll, or you want it just run, if you like to support
opensource development for ethically reasons or you think that a closed
solution give you more stability and safeness.

No one can say Freerunner is better or Iphone is better. Every one has
his idea and his needed.
I only hope (because I like Freeruneer) that a lot of person will need
and like Freerunner. So there can be a future version, and Openmoko can
improve the free phone production.
No decision will be wrong.

Good choose.