Questions about Freerunner: Phone Usability, Battery Life, Shipping Date

Shakthi Kannan shakthimaan at gmail.com
Sat May 10 10:59:49 CEST 2008

Hi,

--- Kunal Singh wrote:
| Apple will be releasing the iPhone in India later this year.
| This phone is likely to be priced much cheaper than free-runner
\--

Actually, the iPhone is costlier (around INR 27-28k, or USD 700) than
the FreeRunner (INR 20k, or USD 500). But, one cannot compare price
with software freedom ("priceless").

http://www.rediff.com/money/2008/apr/16apple.htm

http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/04/18/vodafone-will-reportedly-carry-iphone-in-india-in-september

http://www.iphonenirvana.net/

---
| And the reason why I want to participate in open source development
\--

... in which case the iPhone is out of the question. So, why bother
about the cost?

Even if you imported hardware development boards from China/Taiwan to
India, you will end up paying 70% of the product prise for
customs+tax. If you want to do it as business, then, add some
percentage for your profit, which, will again increase the consumer
price.

Or, do it the usual way. Buy it in US/Europe/Singapore, and if someone
known to you is flying down to India (which always happens), ask them
to hand-carry it.

SK

--
Shakthi Kannan