Using accelerometers (was Re: Freerunner games)

Bobby Martin bobbymartin2 at gmail.com
Wed May 14 01:36:32 CEST 2008

> Are we going to be able to use the accelerometers for any of these games?
>
> The wiki says (
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Technical:Accelerometer_Fundamentals#Results
> )
> that "For gentle twisting and turning, the differential accelerations
> are impossible to tell from noise."  To me that means rocking the neo
> around for these won't work.

The wiki is accurate, I believe, but tilt is different than the things the
wiki is
cautioning about.

There is a constant force on your neo pointing down (gravity).  The
acceleration
from gravity is much greater than the error in the accelerometer readings.

In short, reading any significant amount of tilt should work fine, since
you're just
comparing the direction of acceleration to the direction that should be down
when the neo is level.

Detecting shaking, large gestures, etc. should all work fine too.  What you
really
can't effectively do with the accelerometers is detect position by
integrating
acceleration for more than a few seconds at a time.

Bobby
--
If it doesn't make you smile, you're doing something wrong.